Certified Quality Engineer

1.  Questions

Posted 9 days ago
#6 how is the answer B $41,000 ? Prevention costs means all costs expended to reduce or prevent errors from being made. 

#9 what does misclassification of in-special product mean?

#11 Cp value is # of times the spread of the process fits into the tolerance width. The higher the value of Cp the better the process. How is the answer B?

------------------------------
Dhruva Bharucha
Fort Wayne IN
Dhruva.bharucha@gmail.com

2.  RE: Questions

Posted 8 days ago
You provide no context as to the source of these questions, therefore, your question cannot be answered.

David Levy
Manager of Quality and Safety
Boyce Technologies, Inc
Cortlandt Manor NY
(914)772-8512

3.  RE: Questions

Posted 7 days ago
  |   view attached
Sorry folks. The sample exam is attached. My questions are from the attached.

Dhruva Bharucha
Fort Wayne IN

Attachment(s)

pdf
CQE Sample Exam.pdf   903K 1 version

4.  RE: Questions

Posted 7 days ago
#6 how is the answer B $41,000 ? Prevention costs means all costs expended to reduce or prevent errors from being made. 
    * Evaluating finished product, does not reduce or prevent defective product being made, maybe shipped but not produced. Is that the one that was confusing? 

#9 what does misclassification of in-special product mean? 
    * "IN- SPECIFICATION" If you identify a product incorrectly that is in specification limits - I.e. tag a product defective when it meets required specs.

#11 Cp value is # of times the spread of the process fits into the tolerance width. The higher the value of Cp the better the process. How is the answer B?
    * Cp is not an indicator that the process is in specification limits it is an indicator of the process capability centered or not.

The equation for Cp is often written ET / NT. ET stands for Engineering Tolerance, which is the width between the specification limits. NT stands for Natural Tolerance, which is the width that should contain almost all of the data from the process. Traditionally, NT is 6 times the standard deviation.

We often describe Cp as the capability the process could achieve if the process was perfectly centered between the specification limits.

You may be mixing CPk and Cp.

Hope this helps

Dr. William 'Will' LaFollette
502-220-8515
lafollette.william2@gmail.com

5.  RE: Questions

Posted 5 days ago
Thank you William for the clarification. Yes it does help.

--
Dhruva Bharucha
BS Biomedical Engineering
MS Healthcare Systems Management
Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)

6.  RE: Questions

Posted 2 days ago
For question # 11, I am still not clear on why answer is B. Can you please elaborate? You can see in C, the process is centered not sure what I am looking at for highest Cp value?

Dhruva Bharucha
Fort Wayne IN

7.  RE: Questions

Posted 6 days ago
For your answer to #6:

-Evaluating finished product $50000

Clearly this is appraisal, not prevention.

-Quality auditor training $10000

Training is usually prevention, and especialy if it is quality realted training.

-Manufacturability study $1000

This is prior to production, and is related to preventing issues once in production. This is prevention.

-Repairing finished product $5000

Failure cost, either internal or external. Not a prevention cost.

-Process capability studies $30000

While these may occur during production in relation to a failure cost, capability is the comparison of specs to process spread. Most of the time these studies are related to insuring good quality, and so may be considered prevention.

$10000 + $1000 + $30000 = $41000

Douglas Wood
President
Fairway KS
(913) 669-4173
doug@dcwoodconsulting.com

8.  RE: Questions

Posted 5 days ago
Thank you! Is it true that when it comes to training/studies this is prevention. Thank you for the breakdown. For "Evaluating finished product" I would think this is prevention b/c you are taking extra steps to inspect and ensure the product is conforming to requirements. But maybe I am mixing up evaluating versus inspecting.

--
Dhruva Bharucha
BS Biomedical Engineering
MS Healthcare Systems Management
Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)

9.  RE: Questions

Posted 5 days ago

Hello Dhruva Bharucha,

See my comments in your message below.

Thank you! Is it true that when it comes to training/studies this is prevention. Thank you for the breakdown. For "Evaluating finished product" I would think this is prevention b/c you are taking extra steps to inspect and ensure the product is conforming to requirements. JW comment: Evaluating finished product is appraisal cost.  Think about it; if it is already finished product, it is fully assembled and therefore any evaluation done to it cannot be preventive.  But maybe I am mixing up evaluating versus inspecting.

John Walsh

Sr. Quality Engineer

CQE, CQA, CSSGB

TT Electronics-IMS 

3700 Lane Road, Perry, Ohio 44081  USA

T:  +1 440-358-5209 

Ejohn.walsh@ttelectronics-ims.com

www.ttelectronics-ims.com

10.  RE: Questions

Posted 2 days ago
Thank you for response. I understand.

Dhruva Bharucha
Fort Wayne IN

11.  RE: Questions

Posted 2 days ago
# 20 how is the answer A? Please assist.

Dhruva Bharucha
Fort Wayne IN